Saturday, December 12, 2009

Your valuable tools should be off and in your locker!

Cell phones in school
By hanoverscience | View this Toon at ToonDoo | Create your own Toon

I have been playing with the idea of trying to incorporate the use of cell phones into my classroom.  Classroom 2.0 held a live webinar today entitled Cell Phones as Classroom Learning Tools with special guest Liz Kolb.  This was an excellent presentation and I highly recommend taking the time to watch the archived show on their website.  Just beware, there is so much good information being offered in this show that you might find yourself sitting in front of a computer for a very long time.  I finished watching this webinar amazed that we are not making better use of the devices our parents are happily paying for and sending to school with their students everyday!   

Personally, I think it is going to take me a while to digest everything I learned, and I probably will be watching the webinar again myself.  Of immediate interest to me was the information provided about the drop.io website.  I took some time to play with this site already and think that this is going to be a great resource.  I have been loving the toondoo website and let my juniors and seniors create cartoons as a way to review some of the concepts on their upcoming test.  Drop.io provides a great way to not only collect these cartoons, but to let the students view and comment on them as well.  Add to that the possibilities it presents in incorporating cell phones into the classroom, and I think my class and I are going to be trying some new, fun, and motivating things with it in the near future. 

Check out the following sites:

Drop.io 

Toondo 

A great Simpsons episode dealing with cell phones - Bart gets a Z   

2 comments:

  1. Here is a similar Toondoo cartoon I created: http://www.toondoo.com/cartoon/880754

    and I used it in a presentation on using POD's - Personally Owned Devices in the classroom: http://www.slideshare.net/datruss/the-pods-are-coming

    I've written in my blog about how we are teaching in Black & White when we live in a Technicolour world, and the cartoon above exemplifies that very well, thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dave, good stuff, finally had a chance to check out your cartoons! Thanks for leaving the comment. I am off to check out your presentation as well. Here is another toondoo on the topic. Came up with this after a discussion I had with another teacher the other day. http://www.toondoo.com/cartoon/1266117?morbyid

    ReplyDelete